Such trouble as sciatica, can overtake everyone. What is it, how can you try to avoid it and how to treat the disease? What are the causes and symptoms of sciatica?
What causes sciatica?
Inflammation of the sciatic nerve is called sciatica, it can have quite a strong and unpleasant for the person symptoms. The sciatic nerve starts at the lumbar region, it passes through the coccyx, pelvis, legs, and comes to the feet. It is considered the longest nerve in the human body. So when it is the inflammation often suffer from not only back, but and legs.
The most common causes of sciatica include:
- A pinched nerve due to displacement of intervertebral disc.
- Growths on the spine.
- Trauma or excessive exercise.
- Infection, inflammatory process in the body.
- Tumors in the spine (benign and malignant).
Why sciatica is such a serious problem? In the first place because of the pain it causes. She’s usually quite intense, occurring in different areas of the sciatic nerve in the lower back, any part of the legs. Often one side of the body there is pain, and the numbness and tingling. The pain increases with movement, coughing, laughing, sneezing. The most intense pain happens at night. In severe situations, the person is so hurt that he can’t even move.
How to deal with sciatica?
This problem will help to cope neurologist. Immediately for advice need to contact if there are symptoms:
- The increase in body temperature.
- Swelling or redness of the skin on the back.
- The spread of the pain to new areas.
- Strong numbness of the feet or lower back.
- Burning sensation when urinating.
In any case, without the help of Dr. it is almost impossible to cope with the problem, it will only get worse.
Treatment of sciatica is complex and involves the following components:
- Bed rest. While the inflammation does not pass, the patient is better lying on the bed with a firm mattress, involve minimal move.
- Medication. Usually doctors prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and vitamins. Most often, they are administered intramuscularly. To ease the pain will help special ointments, gels.
- Physiotherapy. To cure sciatica will help with the warming, electrophoresis. A combination of medication and physical therapy greatly accelerates the healing process.
- Massage. It is prescribed only after the acute inflammation has been removed. Massage can improve nerve conduction, blood flow.
- Charging. At the stage of recovery the patient is recommended to perform a specially selected therapeutic exercises to restore normal motor activity.
Sometimes sciatica becomes chronic and may lead to violations of the organs of the pelvis. In this case, it is recommended surgical treatment. In order to prevent this, one should be mindful of their health and time to seek help from a doctor.
To prevent inflammation of the sciatic nerve, it is necessary to monitor the health of the spine. It is recommended to do strengthening exercises, to swim in the pool, watch your posture, to take breaks while working at the computer. Try not to lift heavy, hypothermia, need time to heal all diseases.