Abdominal pain in a child is a fairly common phenomenon that is almost guaranteed to face every parents. It can have a lot of different reasons, from the banal constipation to serious illness. So what can hurt the child’s stomach, and what should be the actions of the parents?
Causes of abdominal pain in a child
The most likely causes of abdominal pain in a child include:
Constipation. Is this not the most common cause of abdominal pain in kids, which may be due to improper nutrition, individual characteristics of the organism, insufficient fluid intake, and even psychological factors. Therefore, if the child is ill live, should remember when it last happened defecation.
Intestinal infection. If abdominal pain subsequently joins diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, increased body temperature, probably we are talking about the intestinal infection.
Appendicitis. Inflammation of the Appendix is one of the possible causes of abdominal pain. This pain may be localized in the right side, and the center of the abdomen, near the navel.
Colic in babies. This is one of the most common causes of abdominal pain in children up to 3 months.
Parasites. Worms – frequent “guests” of the child’s body. The infection occurs in children’s groups, on sites in the sandbox. If the child is lethargic, she periodically has a stomach ache, slight fever, nausea, sometimes vomiting, diarrhea or conversely constipation, she loses weight, eats poorly, it is very likely that we are talking about glisten invasion.
Diseases of the genitourinary system. Often children are diagnosed with bladder infection, which may produce abdominal pain, fever.
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Abdominal pain cause bouts of gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer. Perhaps you should consult a gastroenterologist, especially if the attacks of pain are directly linked with meals or hunger in the child.
Kidney disease. If the stomach hurts under left ribs, the child weakness, difficulty urinating, this may indicate problems with the kidneys.
On the occurrence of abdominal pain in a child can also be affected by the following external factors:
- The use of stale, poor quality or incorrectly prepared food.
- Failure to observe rules of personal hygiene.
- Treatment of certain medical drugs side effect which may be the origin of abdominal pain.
- Stress, nervous tension, change in the usual rhythm of life (for example, the beginning of visit of kindergarten, a new school, moving).
- Injuries of the abdominal cavity.
What to do if your child has a stomach ache?
Of course, abdominal pain in a child is an occasion for parents to pay attention to its condition. If it is not associated with constipation or banal overeating, does not pass, is paroxysmal in nature, it is better to seek medical help. Especially alarming are the situations when a stomach pain joined by other symptoms, such as fever, diarrhea, vomiting, General weakness. Also more dangerous is abdominal pain, which is localized not in the region of the navel, and the left, right or in the abdomen.
When a child has a stomach ache recommended for:
- Call the doctor or self-refer for medical care.
- Do not give pain medications (they can dull the pain through which is passed the critical moment and lost precious time, for example, for appendicitis, which is extremely dangerous for the life of the child).
- Not to put pressure on the stomach, you can only pet him.
- Every 5-10 minutes give the child to drink small amounts of liquid (a teaspoon or tablespoon, as it turns out, but to do it systematically).
- Not warm, a place of pain because in some States it may be absolutely contraindicated.
In General, the abdominal pain in a child can be very different in intensity, frequency, and localization. It can cause various reasons, so responsible parents must do everything possible to render competent assistance.