Many people confuse the concepts of multiple sclerosis and the so-called “sclerosis” patients. In fact, multiple sclerosis affects mostly young people. But memory impairment, the development of age-related senile dementia, etc. – it’s dementia and not “sclerosis”. The term “multiple sclerosis” imagine some of the sick elderly person and think that they are the problem and if threatened in the distant future. In fact, the youth and people of middle warasta it is important to know the causes and symptoms of multiple sclerosis, as it is at risk.
What is multiple sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that affects the brain and spinal cord and delayed diagnosis leads to disability. In this disease the immune system begins to work correctly: the myelin sheath of nerve fibers is destroyed, scarring and nerve tissue is replaced by connective tissue. The use of the word “multiple” means scattered foci of disease throughout the nervous system.
And “sclerosis” describes the nature of the changes of nerve tissue on scar tissue. Sick with multiple sclerosis on average from 15 to 40 years, even small children are at risk to get sick more often than older people. After 50 years the risk of developing multiple sclerosis decreases sharply. The disease is quite common: after injuries, multiple sclerosis, 2nd place in the factors of neurological disability among young people.
Causes of multiple sclerosis
The exact reasons why the immune system begins to destroy its own tissues, is still the medicine is not known. Predisposing to the development of multiple sclerosis factors are:
- bacteria and viruses. There is a relationship between development of multiple sclerosis and transferred human disease measles, infectious mononucleosis, retroviruses. Also negatively affect the already existing disease bacterial infections – staph, strep, etc.
- diabetes, obesity, excess weight, food preference, rich in fats and animal proteins
- genetic predisposition
- gender: women suffer more often. Plus increases the risk of developing multiple sclerosis the pill
- injuries, physical and mental stress, frequent surgical intervention
- frequent change of climate and residence.
As suspected multiple sclerosis and what to do
Th sooner the disease is diagnosed, the less chance it severe course and possible disability. So therefore, doctors stress the importance of preventive examinations and diagnosis of multiple sclerosis earlier than in 5 years when the disease has not started to progress. The symptoms can vary depending on the foci of the spread of the disease, but, nevertheless, the main signs of multiple sclerosis are:
- frequent numbness and tingling in hands and feet
- a feeling of weakness in the limbs
- vision problems: blurring of vision, double vision, progressive blindness
- problems with urination
- constant fatigue
- disorders neurological: neuritis of the facial nerve, gait disturbance, etc.
If you do not pay attention to these symptoms, the disease progresses, and eventually begin to disturb headaches, trembling of hands and legs, speech disorders, disorders of mental activity. So at first you do not understand the symptoms that previously were not possible, you should go to a specialist. To reduce the risk of developing multiple sclerosis, you need to:
- complete and regularly to relax
- to avoid stress
- to be physically active and eat right
- to stop Smoking
- not to neglect regular health examinations and doctors time to treat the chronic disease.