Migraines are a neurological disease, which affects one in seven people on our planet. The women she meets in 3 times more often than men. Migraines have several times a year (and sometimes month), there are attacks of very severe headache that may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting, photophobia.
Symptoms and phases of migraine
A migraine is no ordinary headache, people will immediately understand the difference. It would be very bad during the attack, the efficiency will be almost completely lost for some time. This disease is connected with disorder of the functioning of the brain: the part that is responsible for processing information about different sensations, in particular pain. Very often migraine is a hereditary disease, the first symptoms occur in children or adolescents.
A migraine attack has 4 phases of development:
- Prodrome is the precursor to a migraine. This phase is characteristic only for half of the patients. It usually lasts 1-2 days, at this time, the person will be irritable, tired, depressed, or, conversely, overly active.
- Aura. This phase is typical for one-third of patients with migraine, while it is not every attack. Its duration is not more than an hour, the most common is the visual aura. People like seeing flashes of light, spots, in fact it is just an illusion. Also there are other types of aura, which can occur numbness, tingling in the extremities. During this phase, the person it is difficult to say, it’s hard to find the right words, that can be scary.
- Headache. This is the hardest phase of migraine, it can last up to 3 days. In fact, this is migraine, often hurts one part of the head: pain, throbbing, bursting character, it becomes much stronger during movements, physical exertion, even minor. For this phase the inherent nausea, vomiting, discomfort from light, sound.
- Resolution (postkom). This is the last phase, which usually last from 1 to 2 days. People will be tired, irritable, depressed, it will be hard to concentrate on one thing. After this comes the relief, the pain goes away, the migraine attack is in the past.
What are the causes of migraine?
Very often migraine is a hereditary disease. Its appearance is influenced by such factors:
- Violation of sleep mode as the constant lack of sleep or excess sleep.
- Fasting, diet, and unhealthy diet. For migraines causes insufficient food intake, excessive alcohol consumption, shortage of drinking water.
- Hormonal factors (typical for women). For migraine can affect menstruation (especially at the formation stage of the cycle in adolescents), hormonal contraceptives and other drugs, disruptions in hormonal background.
- Stress or emotional tension.
- Drastic weather changes.
- Frequent change of climatic zones, always moving, chronic disturbance regime of the day.
Is there a cure for migraine?
Today to get rid of the migraine attack is almost impossible, science has not yet figured out how to do it. But they can be controlled by normalizing lifestyles, and with age they will appear less and less.
In the matter of medical treatment of migraine will help the neurologist. Therapy is usually administered symptomatic: analgesics severe headache, an antiemetic if vomiting. Also used ergotamine, which constricts the blood vessels of the brain and contributes to the speedy termination of the attack. But all these medicines do not prevent subsequent attacks, they merely facilitate the patient’s condition.
A migraine is a severe test for a person, especially if we are talking about a child or teenager. If there is a genetic predisposition to the disease, you need to focus on diet, routine and sleep, try not to be nervous, to calm, measured way of life.