Stiff muscles – a steady and significant increase in their tone, causing the person can actually move the problem areas of the body (leg, arm, neck, etc.). This is not a disease but a pathological condition that occurs due to problems in the functioning of the central and / or peripheral nervous system. Therefore, muscle rigidity lead to different, often very serious neurological disease.
Possible causes muscle rigidity
To diseases, a symptom of which is increased muscle tone include:
- Osteochondrosis. This is the most common cause of muscle stiffness. After degenerative disorders in the spine he suffers from constant overload, which can cause muscle spasms, which are located in the problem area. That is, if there are problems in the cervical spine, it may increase the tone in the muscles in the area of the neck. Different people may suffer shoulder blades, lower back, and all because of the same reason – osteochondrosis.
- Stroke. Because of this disease in humans is a disturbance of brain circulation, leading to full or partial paralysis in various parts of the body.
- Cerebral palsy. Stiff muscles – one of the symptoms of the disease.
- Meningitis, encephalitis. This infektsiynihvoroby through which significant lesions undergo brain, which in turn leads to disorders such as muscular rigidity.
- Tetanus. This terrible infectious disease which has a very high mortality. One manifestation of tetanus – most stable stiffness of muscles, including breathing, which often provokes the death of the patient.
In addition to improving muscle tone causes Parkinson’s disease and various injuries that result in displaced vertebrae, damaged nerve connections, disrupted circulation.
Stiff muscles in infants
Increased muscle tone often diagnosed in infants, which is quite logical and natural thing in the first few months of life. However, parents should zanepokoyitysya when:
- The child was headed.
- Her knees always pulled to the body.
- It violated the basic reflexes (swallowing, sucking, etc).
This may be a sign of irregularities in the process of the peripheral nervous system. If the problem fails to note the baby may develop a backlog of nervous, psychological and physical development. For the treatment of muscle stiffness in the child uses a comprehensive treatment that includes medication, physiotherapy and massage.
How to deal with muscle stiffness?
It should be understood that the increased muscle tone – it is not a disease but a symptom. Therefore, it should be treated exactly the disease that caused the problem. If successful therapy stiffness gradually disappear. However, it should realize that muscle stiffness brings considerable discomfort and pain often man. Therefore, it can help fight the signs of increased tone with medications that relieve inflammation, pain, spasm. Such drugs can only appoint a doctor, usually this problem should contact a neurologist.
Its effectiveness in the treatment of physiotherapy showed rigidity, which improves blood circulation in the tissues, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect. You also can not ignore the medical gymnastics and massage, which are prescribed after removing the pain.They help develop muscles, strengthen them and improve circulation do not allow stagnant processes develop in the tissues. In remission patient may appoint a spa treatment.
Increased muscle tone – is a dangerous symptom, which should definitely pay attention and consult on the matter with the neurologist.