Constipation is a common problem in Pediatrics, it suffers from according to various sources from 15 to 30% of children. We are talking about the violation of bowel function, due to increased intervals between acts of defecation, difficult process of defecation, bowel movements are not enough. From preschool toddler constipation are 3 times more likely than the older children.
What causes constipation in a child?
Chronic constipation significantly impair the child’s quality of life, negatively affect psychological state of parents who are constantly worried about problems encountered, can lead to some health problems due to accumulated in the body of toxins because of inadequate or delayed stomach emptying. Therefore, if a violation occurs, it is necessary to understand its causes. They can be purely physiological, and psychological, as well as factors of external influence on the child’s body. The main reasons for constipation in Pediatrics include the following:
- An improper diet. If a child with food does not receive a sufficient amount of fiber, consuming too much protein foods, starchy foods and few vegetables and fruits, there may be constipation. Also this problem often occurs during the introduction of complementary foods to baby or when you put on mixed feeding. Normalizing day diet is what will help to get rid of the problem in such cases.
- Lack of fluid intake. If the child used a little to drink, it may have constipation. Also they are a consequence of dehydration after suffering an intestinal infection. If there is a problem, you need to increase fluid intake.
- Medications. Some medications can lead to irregularities in bowel habits: diarrhea or conversely, constipation. These issues often arise on a background of reception of antibiotics what should be reported to the doctor and take the necessary measures.
- Poor permeability of the intestine. This is a serious pathology which fecal mass moved slowly towards the rectum or even stop doing it, the result is a “tube” of them. This pathology is both innate and acquired. Feces accumulates, but the intestine is emptied, its walls are constantly stretched, which can lead to health problems of the child and even threaten his life. So if the kid can’t go to the toilet 2-3 a day, his fever, vomiting, should immediately contact the doctor. Sometimes when bowel obstruction requires emergency surgery.
- Psychological factors. It so happens that the food is good, and drugs the kid was not accepted, and intestines normal, and the constipation is still there. In this case, the reason may be purely psychological: the child is uncomfortable or ashamed to go to the toilet, it hurts to do it. For example, he reached the pot, and he began to laugh, or scold him for it. Now he will try to suppress the urge to defecate to do it as little as possible because defecation is associated with stress. Or he was once hurt to do it, and now he is afraid of getting hurt again. Another psychological factor is the significant changes in life (e.g., beginning kindergarten). The child does not feel free in daily life, trying to contain the urge to defecate. Psychological factors are much more serious than others, they are hard to eliminate, they lead to chronic constipation due to the gradual loss of sensitivity of the rectum.
In the case of constipation in a child in the first place to check the patency of his intestines. If that’s all right, help can solve the problem of normalization of nutrition and drinking regime, the abolition of certain drugs, elimination of adverse psychological factors. It will take time, but dealing with constipation you can, you just need to be patient and believe in positive outcome. Adults suffering from constipation to be much less than children. Sometimes this problem just need to outgrow.